Tuesday 10 December 2013

Crawfordsburn Inn

I have spent a splendid twenty hours at The Old Inn, Crawfordsburn, County Down.

I honestly cannot find anything to criticize. The hotel is a joy to stay in. The same family has run it for decades and they have obviously expended a great deal of effort in creating an establishment which is traditional, homely, warm, cosy, opulent, stylish, characterful - I'd better cease the abundant praise.

I stayed in the lovely Azalea bedroom, which has a sort of faux two-poster bed, and every conceivable luxury one could wish for, to my mind at least.

There was no mini bar or fridge, though I'm sure something could be arranged if a particular resident so desired. I certainly didn't need it.

Later in the evening I attended The National Trust's annual Christmas dinner for Mount Stewart staff and volunteers.

I chose the traditional turkey dinner, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I must admit to a certain prejudice, in that I am fond of The Old Inn. It is unique.


Breakfast was served in the fine surroundings of the dining-room on the ground floor, overlooking the village.

The old nose-bag found it challenging, though I triumphed in the end. Waiting-staff will testify that Lord Belmont left not a morsel of the inn's celebrated Ulster breakfast.

Moreover, I had two pieces of buttered toast, a glass of well-chilled orange juice, and a good hot pot of tea.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Ulster breakfast? Where are the soda and potato farls? And what is the strange round thing lurking next to the (very bendy) sausage? I was at a wedding reception there many years ago; it doesn't seem to have changed much over the years.

Timothy Belmont said...

Ha ha! The potato and soda farls or bread are the "round thing". The soda is directly below the potato.