Thursday 8 October 2009

Gibb's Island: Stone Wall


I've been away all day at Gibb's Island, Strangford Lough, dry stone walling. We have been reconstructing an old wall which runs from one side of the little island to the other. It is badly dilapidated and requires much attention.

Today we were mainly unearthing the original stones from the wall, which had fallen to the ground over decades. It is laborious, though fulfilling, work; a task that I thoroughly enjoy.

There were five of us today, and the weather was fine and sunny. We had an audience of Galloway cattle - and calves - which seemed to take a liking to the baby two-seater, judging by the lick-marks!

I arrived home by about five o'clock; whacked the dinner into the oven; changed; and drove up the the sports club for a quick twenty lengths.

3 comments :

Sandy said...

You were spotted! After reading of your fondness for the island I was performing my twice-yearly constitutional in Delamont when I spied a new funny shaped car on Gibb's. I said to myself "I know who that is, and I bet I read about it tonight!"

A local had told of some recent vandalism to fence posts on the island. I hope they haven't undone your hard work?

Timothy Belmont said...

Ha ha! Hi Sandy,good to hear from you.

Wasn't the weather just fine today? Just as you say, the vandalism took place on the Quoile YC side of Gibb's. It was at the top of the hill, and the patch where they lit a fire can clearly be seen. We collected a bagful of beer cans, too. Some wooden stakes and a sectio of hawthorn hedge were destroyed.

This part of Gibb's is particularly vulnerable to anti-social behaviour and I'd appeal to local people and anyone else to immediately ring the police or at least the National Trust. That said, you know hoe impossible some situations can be nowadays.

We will be re-planting new hawthorn saplings where the damage was caused.

All the best,

Tim

Chad said...

Was the wall damaged by these people as well?

If so, it's a shame. Beautiful picture! I can certainly respect your admiration in rebuilding a stone wall. Heck, I've rebuilt my wooden fence 3 times, however I just don't think it was as rewarding as your project. Old stone walls are just intended!

Regards, and enjoy your trip!