Monday 9 March 2009

A Deal Is Signed


I really didn't believe it would happen. I was prepared to bide my time for another year or more. The signals I was getting from them were not good, from my perspective.

I have wrestled with a dilemma over the two-seater we own now, a truly wonderful car. It is greatly admired and commands a certain presence. Despite this, I usually drive about Town, and if we are on a longer drive, I rarely exceed 50-55 mph; I doubt if I have ever exceeded the 70mph speed limit.

Since I bought it a mere two years ago, the Government's drive to encourage "greener" vehicles has been a factor. I resent paying high car taxes and fuel costs. Despite this, I currently drive less than 5,000 miles per annum. The roadster will require a new set of run-flat tyres eventually, too. I do not consider myself truly "green". Costs have been the motivating factor, not saving the planet. That said, I dare say I could claim to be greener than average!

Despite this scenario, I motored across Belfast to the Smart Car centre at Isaac Agnew's dealership, again, this morning. I remained in good humour, though steadfast (as, no doubt, Agnew's will testify).

The deal is done; I've signed along the dotted line and handed them a deposit. We finally agreed on a price to change.

I have ordered a Smart ForTwo Passion Coupé turbo 84 BHP with piles of extras: Metallic grey paint; black leather heated seats; lockable glove box; front fog lights; power steering; electric mirrors; velour floor mats; chrome package; and two-tone horn. The illustration does not have the chromium grille, wing-mirrors or rear trim.

It is due to be delivered in late May or early June. Twelve months' road tax is currently £35. I drove one about a year ago and I have reviewed the experience here. Agnew's have provided me with an insurance estimate of £215 although, quite frankly, I'll probably stick with my current insurer until the next renewal date, at least.

I'm off for a filling at my dentist's this afternoon, too.

2 comments :

Mick Stella said...

Health to drive Sir! Unfortunatley, here in Germany with our speed-limitless motorways, such a vehicle would not be a good idea. I just made a deposit (monetary-wise) on an Audi RS4. Purely to ensure I can remain in the outside lane!

Timothy Belmont said...

Good to hear from you again! I thought you were in Belgium.

I'll be blogging more about motoring in the coming months; do let me know about your new car - I'll be very interested.

Tim