Friday 2 January 2009

Keeping The Home Fires Burning

We've been lighting occasional fires in the living-room over Christmas. It is most comforting, and also boosts the temperature up to 22-23c. The central heating is on, as usual. It is ironic that a fire is now regarded, by me, as a luxury. Most folks undoubtedly cannot be bothered nowadays, what with the time and trouble it expends. Many have had their fireplaces totally removed altogether; or converted to gas.

I think it's the time it takes, and the organization: the supply of fuel - coal, logs, paper, kindling - and the routine of clearing the previous day's ashes in to the ash-bucket below. I have a method which works well for me, and involves rolling sheets of newspaper up tightly; placing them on the grate; placing kindling on top; lighting it with one match, hopefully; and, when it's established, very gradually adding coal, one or two small pieces at a time.

It can be a laborious process, but if the fire lights within, say, five minutes, it can be kept alight for the rest of the day. I only bother lighting fires during the coldest weather; so I consider it a luxury really, and worth the effort too.

That large sack of logs I collected from Minnowburn only lasted for one and a half fires, by the way. I bought some coal from the local Spar supermarket: 25kg cost £9.79 and it seems to be good coal. I must remember to check the price at the big supermarkets.

No comments :