Sunday 18 January 2009

Heathrow's Proposed Third Runway

I have no objection, in principle, to reasonable improvements and extensions to the infrastructure of airports, provided that there is the capacity and space to realize such a development. I'm generally in favour, for instance, of an extension of the runway at Belfast City Airport, as long as it fulfils planning guidelines and restrictions.

As far as the proposed third runway at London's Heathrow Airport is concerned, whilst I am not opposed to another runway, I would object to the destruction of historic villages and bulldozing of ancient graveyards; the annihilation of listed buildings and devastation of woodland; and generally wiping out generations of livelihoods and villagers' way of life.

If the Government and others wish to do this with such consequences, I oppose it.

1 comment :

Stephen Barnes said...

I've heard that following new research from America, that Heathrow's 3rd runway can be built for £10,000, simply by installing some landing lights on the Thames.