Monday 24 March 2008

St Anne's Needle


Whilst motoring home yesterday along the M2 towards Belfast (the very wide section you could land an aircraft on), we had a good view of Belfast Cathedral and its new spire pinnacle. I criticized it last year on television; so having become accustomed to it I now accept it. Nevertheless it is no spire, by any stretch of one's imagination. It's more like a needle or pinnacle. To call it a spire is a misnomer.

I still consider it quite incongruous. I am well aware that St Anne's Cathedral is an architectural hotch-potch, gradually completed in sections over one century; nevertheless, the Needle does not work for me.

To touch on a different topic, Belfast Cathedral has a dean, an archdeacon and chapter. Logically speaking, there should really be a Bishop of Belfast, thereby splitting up the large Connor diocese.

No comments :