Saturday 29 December 2007

New Year Honours 2008


I always find it intriguing to see the biannual Honours lists. Don't bother trying to find my name on the latest list: you may have thought I'd have been honoured for blogging services. Although many of the recipients are public servants (including military) and their awards are dependent on their rank, there are always a few pleasant surprises. Few will begrudge the genial chat-show host, Michael Parkinson, CBE, his knighthood for instance: he is now Sir Michael Parkinson, CBE.

I have noticed that the director-general of the National Trust, Fiona Reynolds, CBE, now becomes Dame Fiona Reynolds, DBE; so she is now a Dame Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

I won't comment on the Ulster recipients although I note that the most senior recipient in Northern Ireland is the top civil servant, Nigel Hamilton, who is now a Knight Commander of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath and becomes Sir Nigel Hamilton, KCB. Most, if not all, of his illustrious predecessors are also KCBs.

Suffice it to say that cordial congratulations are due to most of the Ulster recipients.

No comments :